Calliditas is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on identifying, developing and commercializing novel treatments in orphan indications, with an initial focus on renal and hepatic diseases with significant unmet medical needs. We have our headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden and offices in the USA, Switzerland and France.
Calliditas’ lead product, developed under the name Nefecon, has been granted accelerated approval by the FDA under the trade name TARPEYO® and conditional marketing authorization by the European Commission under the trade name KINPEYGO®. Additionally, Calliditas is conducting a Phase 2b/3 clinical trial in primary biliary cholangitis and a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial in head and neck cancer with its NOX inhibitor product candidate, setanaxib.
Calliditas’ common shares are listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (ticker: CALTX) and its American Depositary Shares are listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market (ticker: CALT).
Calliditas Therapeutics France is a subsidiary company of Calliditas Group, Sweden. Calliditas Therapeutics FR is located at Archamps (Haute Savoie). The activities of the department focus on the characterization of novel NOX enzyme inhibitors in various in vivo disease models to support the identification of novel drug candidates in chronic inflammatory and fibrotic diseases. Our lead candidate, Setanaxib, is under clinical evaluation for Primary Biliary Cholangitis.
The in vivo pharmacology team is responsible for the development of in vivo models and the evaluation of our drug candidates in these models. The team is working in close collaboration with the in vitro pharmacology team and the MedChem Director. To strengthen the team, we are looking for an experienced Scientist in Histology to join our team.
The Scientist in Histology will be in charge of all aspects of histology applied to the in vivo models developed. At first, the Scientist in Histology will have to set up the activity in-house which does not exists yet. Her/his responsibility will cover protocols and process definition and implementation, QC, equipment management, interact with the external partners when relevant.
Histological activities are a critical part of our in vivo readouts, and include tissue fixation and sectioning, basic histology labeling, including fibrotic labeling such as Sirius red, IHC, ISH, antibody based cell detection, image quantification. The scientist will perform the experiments and interpret the results and will be fully involved in the planification, design and follow-up of the in vivo experiments.
She/he will be responsible for managing the daily operations of histological testing and in charge of the related equipment. She/he will be first line contact for CRO or partners when histology is concerned.
As member of the in vivo pharmacology department, it is not excluded to support practically the in vivo experiments when needed, including by being trained on animal manipulation.
The position will report to the Head of Research.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Create and implement histology activities for the Calliditas Therapeutics in vivo pharmacology team
- Define and implement histological processes and methods, including tissue fixation, sectioning, staining, IHC, ISH
- Perform daily experiments, analyze and interpret results, ensure proper recording and labbook writing
- Bring biological expertise and participate to in vivo model design, plans and strategies
- Manage, maintain, order histology equipment, act as a expert for the team and the research department
- Participate and present results and plans to team and department meetings, prepare presentations
Education and experience requirements
- PhD in biology or equivalent by experience with proven practical expertise in histology technologies, from fixation to image quantification and data interpretation.
- Strong expertise in block preparation and sectioning, immune-histochemistry and microscopy-based image quantification is mandatory for this position
- Minimum 2-3 years of previous experience in in vivo histology, ideally in kidney and/or liver biology, ideally obtained at least for a part in biotech or pharma context
- Expertise in fibrosis and/or immune-inflammation biology and readouts is an advantage
- Expertise in mouse-handling and mice studies (including certification) is a plus
- Excellent organization skills, attention to accuracy and QC/QA
- Excellent team player skills and communication with other teams
- English is used across the Calliditas’ group, knowledge of French is an advantage.
Reasons to join the Calliditas Team
- Be a part of a global leader in IgA-Nephropathy and a rapidly growing commercial-stage pharmaceutical company within specialty products with strong growth ambitions and a strong pipeline
- Fast paced small company environment
- A unique corporate culture
- Dedicated, experienced and highly skilled colleagues
- Participate on bonus and benefit programs
Welcome to join the Calliditas Team!