Calliditas is a commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on identifying, developing and commercializing novel treatments in orphan indications, with an initial focus on renal and hepatic diseases with significant unmet medical needs. We have our headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden and offices in the USA, Switzerland and France.
Calliditas’ lead product, Tarpeyo™, is a proprietary, novel oral formulation of budesonide, an established, highly potent local immunosuppressant, for the treatment of the autoimmune renal disease IgA nephropathy, or IgAN, for which there is a high unmet medical need and there were no approved treatments.
As of December 2021, the FDA has approved the commercialization of Nefecon (TARPEYO™) in the United States thus making it the first and only FDA-approved treatment and in May 2022 Calliditas received a positive opinion for the drug from CHMP in the EU. Calliditas is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (ticker: CALTX) and the Nasdaq Global Select Market (ticker: CALT). Visit www.calliditas.com for further information.
Experience with pharmaceutical or biotech commercial IT is a requirement.
This is a unique opportunity for a driven and talented IT leader to work directly with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) in Stockholm, Sweden. The US IT Director is a motivated and talented IT leader responsible for supporting and overseeing system and technology services to Calliditas US commercial business functions. The US IT Director is a trusted IT business partner, manages relationships between IT and other US departments with core focus of increasing the organizations value realized from IT assets, investments, and capabilities available in our US IT system portfolio.
The Director is responsible for executing in line with the global IT strategy, ensuring the US requirements are managed in the overall functional and application architecture, coordinating with IT vendors, program managing all IT projects, and prioritizing the demand ensuring IT solutions and services meet customer needs. Collaboration with Global IT and HQ in Stockholm to make sure everything done in the US is in line with the overall IT strategy is an important aspect.
The individual will work primarily in a hybrid role from the NYC office while also providing support to the Hoboken, New Jersey office and field employees as needed.
The ideal candidate has a good understanding of the US pharmaceutical business, is highly motivated with a preferred background from working in a small/medium sized pharmaceutical company for a minimum of 5 to 10 years. We expect the candidate to have the necessary system and technical background and to be very responsive and results oriented. Additionally, the individual has good relationship development and communication skills as well as strong project and service management experience.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Manage approximately 15-key applications with strong focus on Veeva, Revo/Zaidyn, Concur and other commercial focused systems.
- Collaborate and support key business areas including Sales, Marketing, Market Access, Medical Affairs, Finance, HR, and Legal.
- Provide IT support to approximately 80 US employees (50 are field based)
- Manage about 10 third party vendors and managed services providers.
Business Relationship Management:
- Manage relationship with business stakeholders including customer satisfaction, cultivating growth, as well as day-to-day communications. Communicate effectively and create transparency to the IT organization & services to the business. Actively participate in business team meetings. Support the business and provide IT expertise and meet regularly with business leaders and process owners to ensure alignment on key priorities and how to leverage current IT platforms and solutions to their maximum. Serve as the primary IT escalation point for the organization.
Operational support and delivery excellence:
- Maintain IT operational excellence and provide an escalation point for any issues related to US IT services. Oversee US IT security, operations, infrastructure, systems, applications, and help desk. Manage key commercial systems and vendors in line with global IT governance model. Maintain coherence and operationality of US functional and applications architecture. This to ensure IT systems meet required service levels, and compliance with policies and procedures for compliance including GxP, HIPAA and SOX. Assist in IT audits and investigations.
IT Project Management/Continuous improvement:
- Manage all US IT-projects and enhancements by coordinating/planning with business stakeholders and with all US software vendors and US third-party system integration providers. Drive adoption of implemented US IT Solutions to increase organizations value realized by IT which could mean changes to applications, functional architecture and integrations points. Provide clear status to the business while managing proper expectations with the business.
US project portfolio and assistance in global project portfolio management:
- Responsible for US IT Roadmap and project portfolio as input to long range Global IT strategic plan and Global IT Budget. Assist CIO in the creation and management of the US IT budget.
Education and experience requirements
- Minimum or equivalent of a BA/BS degree is required.
- A least 10+ years of relevant IT experience, and minimum 5+ years in IT within pharmaceutical companies. Experience with pharmaceutical or biotech commercial IT is a requirement.
- Develop high-level system design specifications with an overall IT architectural understanding
- Develop business cases and deliver in accordance to agreed goals and plans
- Experience in managing third party solutions and services
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical business, general business processes, and the systems environment in place to support those processes.
- Experience with multiple and diverse application environments including Sales, Marketing, e-Marketing, Market access, Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Finance, and Business Intelligence processes and applications.
- Experience with Veeva CRM, Promomats, Medcomms and Data Analytics platforms in a Pharma life-science context is key to be successful in this role.
- Good understanding of IT policies, practices, and systems. Have a superior understanding of Project management and working understanding of the overall technical architecture of the systems and how it fits into the overall IT landscape. Have a good understanding of the IT environment and knowledge about IT trends and directions.
- Experience in customer service, and with computer systems validation for both GxP and non-GxP platforms.
- Robust experience communicating with business users.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with evolving technology and regulations.
Essential Skills and Responsibilities
- Proven ability to manage key business stakeholders and collaboratively drive digitalization and organizational adoption in an organization.
- Proven ability to work closely with business stakeholders and deliver on business goals with support of IT.
- Proven technical, leadership and management skills with the ability to manage simultaneous priorities and changing deadlines.
- Able to present a professional image of IT to all stakeholders through verbal and written interactions.
- Exceptional customer service skills and abilities
- Excellent vendor management skills. Proven experience with managing external global third-party Managed Services Providers and software vendors.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, persuasion, and conflict resolution skills with a strong sense of urgency.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills with the ability to effectively interact with business stakeholders, associates and at all levels of management.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions independently.
Reasons to join the Calliditas Team
- Be a part of a global leader in IgA-Nephropathy and a rapidly growing commercial-stage pharmaceutical company within specialty products with strong growth ambitions and a strong pipeline
- Be a part of the commercialization of TARPEYO™ in the US and Nefecon via partners in other countries
- Fast paced small company environment
- A unique corporate culture
- Dedicated, experienced and highly skilled colleagues
- Participate on bonus and benefit programs
Welcome to join the Calliditas Team!